Sunday 17 August 2014

VISITING (ONE OF) MY NEW PARISH(ES)

Parishioners of Immaculate Conception, Oadby became familiar with the experience they had this weekend during my Sabbatical from January to March this year, as Father Michael Moore and Father Simon Gillespie took it in turn to say the Masses this weekend while I was visiting the Church of Corpus Christi in Clifton, Nottingham; one of my new parishes where I shall be working from1st September.
 


at the church sign


at the front door of Corpus Christi


 
after Mass with my good friend Father Chris Thomas
 
I drove to Clifton on Saturday afternoon to see around the parish again and look about the house where my few pieces of furniture can fit in the Presbytery. Then after a period of Exposition and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament from 5.15 pm to 5.55 pm I was concelebrant at the parish Vigil Mass at 6 pm which Father Chris celebrated.
 
In the morning we celebrated Mass at 9.15am - one of the last times this will be the Mass time, as Mass at Our Lady & St Patrick's in the Meadows is at 9.30 am. From 6th September, Mass in Clifton will be at 11 am. After a bite to eat, I made my way back to Oadby to find that all was well during my absence.
 
From the picture above, you cannot get a true impression of the size of Corpus Christi church. It can hold EIGHT HUNDRED people; easily more than four times as many as Immaculate Conception. In 1965 when he was building, Father James J McGuinness (later Bishop James J McGuinness) was thinking BIG!

**** IMPORTANT UPDATE ****

Tomorrow the heating engineers are starting the second part of their project to complete our refurbished heating system in the church and parish hall. Mass at St Thomas More, Knighton tomorrow and Tuesday at 9 am, and on Wednesday at 6 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment